PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Economics Partners – a Ryan Company, Washington, D.C. office
- Specializes in providing economic consulting services in the fields of transfer pricing and tax valuation for nearly 15 years to clients in a variety of industries, including private equity, consumer products, building materials, apparel, automotive, pharmaceuticals, commodities, and computers.
- Performs a variety of economic analyses, including enterprise valuation, intangible asset valuation, and various transfer pricing analyses.
- Extensive experience designing and structuring the terms of transactions, as well as defending these terms as part of audits, advance pricing agreements, and their proceedings with tax authorities.
- Partner, transfer pricing and business valuation firm
- Vice President, Transfer Pricing, global consulting firm
- Senior Manager, transfer pricing consulting firm
- Manager, Big Four accounting firm
- Defending Valuations for Equity Transfers of Chinese Enterprises, CRA Insights, September 2011 (with Peter Chen)
- The Impact of the Ways and Means Committee Hearing on MNCs in the US, CRA Insights, October 2010 (with Kathrine Kimball and Nicole Bordeleau)
- Implications of FIN 48 for Transfer Pricing Analyses, World Finance, August/September 2007 (with Gerben Weistra)
- Swap Transactions Between Related Parties, World Finance, June/July 2006 (with Mike DeLaval and Anthony Barbera)
- Some Thoughts in the Treatment of Risk in a Transfer Pricing Context, World Finance, February/March 2006, pp.60–61 (with Anthony Barbera)
- Valuation of IP in the UK in the 21st Century, International Tax Review, Intellectual Property (4th Edition), Number 24, pp.42–45 (with Ted Keen)
- Estimating Discount Rates – An Alternative to the CAPM, Valuation Strategies, March/April 2005
- Adjusting for Differences in Risk Levels Between Tested Parties and Comparable Firms, BNA Tax Management Transfer Pricing Report, Volume 12, Number 1, May 14, 2003, pp.39–43 (with Anthony Barbera and Jeff Cole)
Mr. Urken frequently presents on issues relating to transfer pricing and valuation at conferences and seminars.
- Transfer Pricing Issues and Solutions for Loss Making Entities, presented with Bob Alltop and Brian Vincent at the International Fiscal Association’s Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., March 2012
- Transfer Pricing Controversy and Dispute Resolution, participated in a panel at the IBC International Transfer Pricing Summit, London, March 2012
- The Future of Intangibles & Comparison Between Jurisdictions, moderated panel at the Asia-Pacific Transfer Pricing Summit, Hong Kong, October 2011
- Use of Statistics in Transfer Pricing – A Primer, presented with Mark Bronson at the NABE Transfer Pricing Symposium, Arlington, Virginia, July 2011
- The Importance of the Ways and Means Committee Transfer Pricing Hearings, Webinar, September 2010
- Economic and Transaction-Based Support for the Transfer of Business Risk Among MNC Affiliates, presented at the Marcus Evans Transfer Pricing Conference, Washington, D.C., March 2010
- Advance Pricing Agreements, presented with Bob Alltop at ATLAS Tax Symposium on International Transfer Pricing, Chicago, June 2009
- Manufacturing and Distribution Conversion Models, presented at the China Transfer Pricing & Risk Management Conference, Hong Kong, December 2008
- Transfer Pricing for Business Valuation Professionals, presented as part of a Business Valuation Resources Teleconference, June 2008
- Transfer Pricing Issues in the Private Equity Industry, presented at the Private Equity Financial Management Summit, New York, May 2007 and May 2008
- Master of Business Administration Degree, International Finance and European Studies, The George Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Politics, Brandeis University